Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sweet Home, Chicago


As my previous post covered, our odyssey had one more adventure. Saturday morning we hopped on a flight to Chicago, and Conor and Lillie picked us up at the airport. You'll be able to read more about the weekend here.
While Andy and I had had quite the week full of delicious food (see the fajitadelphia and brisket comments), we knew it was a crime to go to Chicago and not have Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza. Conor, Carey and Lillie (Conarie, if you will) took us around their neighborhood and then to one of their favorite pizza joints. But first, Conarie, sneaky people that they are, took a detour and kicked me out of the car, took me into a Bliss Spa and said, "Happy birthday, Catie!" And it was just what I needed: a restful, relaxing, calming facial from Bliss which, after a week of constant travelling, was greatly needed and appreciated.
Next up: Chicago Pizza! We zoomed through Chicago (and I totally geeked out knowing those awesome Dark Knight scenes were filmed in those underpasses), ate some completely amazing pizza, and then waddled back out to the car. From there we headed out to Navy Pier, looked around for a little while and played in the kids shop. We made our way outside, took one look at the biggest ferris wheel I've ever seen, and turned back around. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of heights, but I'm not a fan of inviting any bad karma I've accrued over 26 years to come and get me at a very inopportune moment.
After a busy day, Conarie, Andy and I were ready to go home and go to bed, since we could start to hear that hippity hoppity of the Easter Bunny coming our way.
We woke up the next morning and Carey had made the most wonderful French Toast Casserole for breakfast, and as we dove in, Lillie began searching for the eggs the Easter Bunny left for her.
Afterward, we headed to Shedd Aquarium for Lillie to run around, and to explore one of the best aquariums in the country.

Once again, our trip ended way too soon, but we were grateful for the time we did get to spend with our families and with each other.
From Houston to Crosby to SPI to Chicago and back to Anchorage, Andy and I racked up quite the mileage, but it was totally worth it. We aren't sure when or where our next voyage will lead us, but we'll definitely keep you posted!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

What a wonderful, trip, Catie! What fun to add horseback riding and kite flying. So glad you were able to get out of Alaska despite Redoubt spouting off and that you had such a good trip.