Monday, October 02, 2006

My Portland Marathon Adventure

It was actually fun, really! I went to sleep full of pasta and hydrated to the max, making sure to set not one, but two alarms for 5:15am. Woke up with no problem and made it to the start by 6:40am.

My parents were there at the start to show their support. It was amazing I found them in that sea of people, noise, and emotion. My dad's bright yellow shirt was quite helpful :)

I posed for a quick pre-race photo, and took my place in the pack of runners next to two friends. It was really exciting and unreal to finally be starting the race after months of training and planning. The hundreds of spectators and performers lined up at the start was incredible, in particular the booming sound of 10 drums pushing us along. The sun was just coming up at this point as we headed south, slightly uphill.

I couldn't have asked for more out of the race in all aspects. The weather was nice and cool, I had lots of family and friends meeting up with me along the way, and my friend, Janette from Bend, even ran the last 4.5 miles with me. Her incredibly positive energy was great - she helped charge me up and even pass close to 50 runners in the last two mile stretch. I finished strong at a time of 5:26!

Would I do it again? I think so... Care to join me?

2 comments:

radsnowgirl said...

yep that's three - Kathy, Conor and me.

well above the average of 1% of marathon runners in the general public.

Kathy said...

Elissa joins Conor and me as the other marathoners in the family...who will be next?